Facilities Services - Home

It is the goal of Facilities Services to provide a safe and comfortable learning and working environment for the students, faculty and staff of The University of Montana Western. Furthermore, Facilities Services will maintain the integrity of UM Western's properties. 


Please feel free to call our offices at (406) 683-7142 for assistance.

Campus Profile

The campus of The University of Montana Western, in Dillon Montana, consists of approximately thirty-nine (39) acres, of which thirty (30) acres lie in one block. The unattached nine (9) acres is represented mostly by the athletic field which is approximately seven city blocks from the main campus. 

Not included in those thirty-nine acres is The University of Montana Western Outdoor Education Center at Birch Creek located approximately twenty miles north of Dillon. This educational facility consists of seven buildings. Six of these buildings, 12,406 sq.ft, are owned by the Forest Service and one building, The Bender Center, 7,016 sq. Ft., is owned by The University of Montana - Western. These seven buildings sit on seven (7) acres of land which is leased from the United States Forest Service. 

Situated on the main campus are sixteen (16) major buildings. The first campus building was constructed in 1897 and the most recent building was built in 2000.

How do I request work to be done for me?

UM-Western's Facilities Services is currently using a computerized work order system. If you are in need of services offered by the Facilities Services Division, you must first fill out a work order request form. These forms are also available in the Facilities Services Office (located in the Engineer's House). The work order will be assigned a work number and put on a priority list. A copy of your work order request will be sent to you if you did not retain one. 

If you feel your need for a maintenance person is an emergency, please call the Facilities Services Office immediately. The telephone number is (406) 683-7142 Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  All other times, call the Boiler Plant at (406) 683-7141.  Some of the items that are classified as emergencies are:

  • health and life safety issues
  • roof leaks
  • plugged plumbing fixtures
  • running water or leaking water lines
  • electrical problems

How do I contact a custodian if I need one?

During fall and spring semesters, UM-Western's custodial personnel work hours are from 2:00 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Summer hours will vary, but are generally 10:00 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. To contact a custodian, you can call the Custodial Office in the Engineer's House (406) 683-7326 or the Facilities Services Office (406) 683-7142 and report that a custodian is needed. If no one answers the telephone, please leave a voice message and someone will respond as soon as possible.