Safety & Security

The health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors is a primary concern of The University of Montana - Western. This document, in compliance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act, outlines the policies and procedures designed to aid in a safe and productive learning, working, and living environment. We hope that you will read it carefully and then use this information to foster safety, security, and wellness for yourself and others on YOUR UM-Western Campus. 

Your Responsibility

Creating and maintaining a healthy and safe environment requires the cooperation and involvement of everyone. All students, faculty, staff, and visitors must assume responsibility for their personal health and safety and the security of their personal belongings. Precautionary measures are the key. For example, although the campus is well lighted, anyone--male or female--may feel free to contact Campus Security (406) 683-7141 or (406) 457-7530 for an escort when traveling across campus late at night. 

Room doors should be locked at night and when the room is unoccupied. Valuable items such as stereos, cameras, and televisions should be marked with an engraving tool and the serial numbers be written down and kept in a safe place. Bicycles should be secured with a sturdy lock. Students with vehicles need to park in designated parking lots and keep their vehicles locked at all times. Valuables should be locked in the trunk or kept in a secured room or apartment. Suspicious-looking individuals who do not belong in residence halls or parking lots should be reported to Campus Security or the Dillon City Police. If students choose to drink alcohol, they should do so in moderation. If alcohol use becomes abusive, those students are asked to seek help. 

Be advised that The University of Montana - Western does not assume responsibility for individual acts and activities. Moreover, it is not responsible for damage to employees' personal property or property belonging to students unless the loss is due to negligent or wrongful acts or omission of state employees, agents, or officers in accordance with Montana State Liability and Insurance Act, Title 2, Chapter 9, Parts 1-3 MCA. Students failing to provide coverage for their personal property will be responsible for paying any loss themselves. 

The Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act

In November 1990, the Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act was signed into law. The crime reporting provisions of the act require all 8,000 post-secondary institutions that receive federal financial assistance to report specific crimes to their campus community, warn them when specific violent crimes occur on campus, and develop crime awareness programs and security policies. Because no campus is totally isolated from crime, The University of Montana - Western has developed policies and procedures that are designed to help protect people on campus. Although the campus has been fortunate in not experiencing a significant number of crimes, a risk-free environment cannot be guaranteed. A truly safe campus can be achieved only through shared knowledge and the cooperation of all students, faculty, and staff. This document is part of an effort to ensure that such a collaborative endeavor is implemented and successful. 

Campus Security

The Campus Security office is part of the Facilities Services office in the basement of the Office/Classroom Building. The Campus Security operation is a 24-hour-a-day function at The University of Montana - Western. During normal working hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.), Security can be reached by calling (406) 683-7142. Weekends, holidays, and between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m., campus personnel may be reached at the heating plant by calling (406) 683-7141. 

Campus Security is responsible for a full range of public safety services including vehicle violations, maintaining instructional integrity and building security, fire safety, and key issues. Security is also responsible for preparing and submitting incident reports as well as keeping a nightly log book. 

Campus Security personnel are to make assessments based on established laws and policies, direct training, and personal judgement. 


How and When to Report a Crime or Emergency


  1. Call from any campus telephone.
  2. Dial (406) 683-7142 (daytime until 4:00 p.m.) or (406) 683-7141 (4:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.) or call (406) 596-2222 (anytime).
  3. Dial 911 from any campus telephone to access the Dillon City Police Department.
  4. Call quickly and do not assume that someone else has called.
  5. Give a clear description of the incident and location.


  1. You see that someone is injured or ill.
  2. You see fire or smell smoke.
  3. You see anything suspicious.
  4. You see someone hurting someone else.
  5. You see someone stealing something or committing any criminal act.

Key Policy

It is the policy of The University of Montana - Western to maintain control and accountability for the issue and return of all keys which allow access to campus buildings. It shall be the responsibility of Facilities Services to administer this program. 

Instructional Buildings Keys

It is the policy of The University of Montana - Western that other than during normal working hours, all buildings shall be locked in order to maintain the security of both buildings and their contents.
  1. Keys are issued for entry of buildings for the purpose of conducting university business only.
  2. An authorized individual entering or leaving a locked building shall not permit any individual to enter who would not normally be permitted to enter the building during the hours it is locked. An authorized individual may have guests so long as the guests stay in the proximity of the faculty or staff member having the assigned key and the authorized individual assumes full responsibility for their presence.
  3. An individual entering or leaving a locked building shall be responsible for securing the door and turning out the lights. Additionally, that individual may be held responsible for any loss or damage to university property resulting from the failure to do so.

To Whom Keys May Be Issued

  • Keys will be issued to faculty and staff of The University of Montana - Western only.
  • All key requests must be made through the mailroom approximately one week prior to needing the keys.
  • Employees wanting keys to areas not under their direction must have a signature, on the key request form, from the person responsible for the area to which the employee is requesting access.
  • Student club or organization members must request keys through their advisors. Keys will then be issued to the appropriate advisors.
  • Employees who want students to have access to normally locked areas must make a key request through the mailroom. Keys will be issued to the employee making the request.
  • Keys will be issued to specific locks only. No submaster or master keys will be issued.
Employees are responsible for all keys received. 

Lost or Stolen Keys

Lost or stolen keys must be reported to the mailroom immediately. 

A person or department reporting lost or stolen keys may be monetarily responsible for any lock changes and new key issues as needed to remedy any potential problems. Examples of some costs, as of 11/01, are: 

Passage set replacement $75.00 (includes 1-3 keys)
Core replacement $40.00 (includes 1-3 keys)
Additional keys (each) $1.00
Deadbolt replacement $95.00 (includes 1-3 keys)

NOTE: Repair and replacement costs may vary due to current costs. 

Return of Keys

All keys remain the property of the university and shall be returned under the following conditions:
  1. Upon the transfer to another department or building.
  2. Upon termination of employment.
  3. Upon the request of the department chair or administrative head.
  4. Upon being granted a leave of absence without pay for a period of 30 or more calendar days. However, staff members granted such leaves may retain their keys if they are authorized to have access to the buildings and/or offices during the leave.

Special Circumstances

  • Special assignment of keys, where required, (such as contractors, etc.) must be authorized by the Director of Facilities Services only.
  • Special circumstances, such as one department/person holding a key for another department/person, must be arranged between the departments/persons. Any such keys will be the responsibility of the requesting department/person. All other procedures will apply.


How Do I Get Keys?

To request a key, you must fill out a key request form at the mail room. This form must be signed by the head of your department. Students will not be issued keys (see Key Policy). If you turn the key request into the mail room, your key order should be filled the following day. A notice will then be put in your mail box. You will be able to pick up your keys at the mail room window. 

How Can I Get Into My Building or Office?

If you are a faculty or staff member and need access to a particular building or office, please contact the areas listed below. 

If the person responding to your request does not know you, he/she may ask for some form of picture I.D. before allowing you to access any area. 

Access requests into an office area will be limited to your area only. You will not be allowed into any other person's office/area. 

Students requesting access to an area after normal lockdown hours will be allowed access only if the situation is an emergency. Those students who are allowed in will be escorted by the responding person to the requested area and escorted back out. No student will be left in a building unattended. The person responding to a student's request may require some form of picture I.D. 

Emergency Phone Numbers for Key Access
TimeResponding OfficePhone Number
7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Facilities Services (406) 683-7142
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. Boiler Plant Office (406) 683-7141
or (406 596-2222 (cell)
Weekends & Holidays Boiler Plant Office (406) 683-7141 or 
(406) 596-2222 (cell phone)

How Can I Contact Someone Concerning Security Issues?

If you need to contact someone concerning a security issue, please call the numbers listed below. 

Emergency Phone Numbers for Security Issues
TimeResponding OfficePhone Number
7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Facilities Services (406) 683-7142
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. Boiler Plant Office (406) 683-7141
or (406) 596-2222 (cell)
Weekends & Holidays Boiler Plant Office (406) 683-7141 or 
(406) 596-2222 (cell phone)